This morning I got up and began my daily ritual “fixing up” for Sunday morning services. My ritual was a little more detailed than my work day routine, but still involved much of the same daily practices we ladies subject ourselves to in order to look and feel beautiful. Goodness gracious what we go through! Fellas, I think if you had to spend time each day applying makeup, brushing on mascara, styling your hair and the such, you would give it up after a week. And Lord have mercy if you had to wear panty hose! Well as far as the ladies… I won’t pass judgment on whether it’s right or wrong. If putting on make up and highs heels helps a woman feel better about herself or if refusing to do such helps her, it’s all good darlin’! Every girl has to choose her own path on what helps her be her best self.
Now I try not to dabble in other folks business, and certainly try to be discreet when it comes to my own. We southern belles were raised not to air dirty laundry in public for all to see. We learn all about etiquette and decorum early on. Lately though, I have about had my fill of certain things that I see on social media from my sisters. Girls, I want the best for y’all… honestly I do. I want you to be treasured as a woman, admired as a mother or daughter. I want you to know how beautiful you are inside and out. Here’s the thing though. If you are feeling as though that isn’t the case and wondering why, maybe the answer can be found no further than your own dressing mirror. Oh I don’t mean whether or not you have freckles or a crooked nose. I certainly don’t mean whether you are shaped like an hour glass or a looking glass. No ma’am. If you aren’t feeling so beautiful or treasured, valued or respected, you might have to look a tiny bit deeper than that face in the mirror.
Oh I know we all want to look like Scarlett O’Hara and be admired and courted by scores of handsome mavericks. We want to be looked up to like Princess Di and we want to acquire the life of Cinderella or Belle living “happily ever after,” but if you think it is all because of how long your lashes are, how curvy your hips, how lush your lips or bright your eyes, then all I can say is “bless your heart!” Girls, I don’t pretend to be an expert on men – goodness knows I’ve made plenty of mistakes concerning those creatures we can’t seem to live with or without. So rather than giving my unsolicited advice about them, I’d like to say something about what I do know about – women. You know, it took me awhile, but I finally talked myself out and when I did, I learned a thing or two. It’s amazing what all you can hear in silence. If you don’t believe me “hush a minute” and see what I mean! Here are some things I learned…
*It isn’t necessary to search the world over to find a good man, nor is it necessary to nag and aggravate the tar out of the men you know to become better men. Be a better woman and like honey is to flies, better men show up or rise up.
*If you don’t think you are the “belle of the ball” then most likely that man won’t either.
*If you don’t take care of the package God gave you, then don’t complain if a man doesn’t appreciate it or admire it. Take care of yourself!
*God has better things to do than to find you a man. If your path in life includes having a man, God gave you everything you need for that man to find you when you stay focused on what truly matters. Shine bright like a beacon sugar and he’ll find you!
*When boys are born, they have a woman they call mother. When they are young, they have girls who are either their sisters or playmates. When they become a man ready to settle down – trying to be their mother, sister or playmate NEVER works! A woman ready for a man learns how she can both compliment and complement him.
*If you don’t like to hunt – stay out of the woods! You are the prize, not the bait.
*If you want others to hush their mouths about your man or your lack of a man, hush yours first! Some things are better left unsaid. Trust is not given but earned.
*Superman might be sitting right next to you, but you’ll never know if you don’t give a man what he wants most – and no it isn’t what you think! RESPECT him and there’s nothing that a man won’t do for a woman he is pining over. Oh and on that subject of respect… It begins and ends with you. Respect breeds respect.
*If you don’t want to live a lonely life, then quit telling everyone how lonely you are! Love yourself and your life because love isn’t meant to be looked for or solicited. It only comes when it is an overflow given freely from your own heart.
So today my sweet belles…. go to your mirror and fuss over yourself a little bit – not with makeup or perfume, but with that beautiful stuff that’s inside of you. That is what you want everybody to see. Carry yourself with class, ruffle the feathers of those who treat you like less than a lady, hold your tongue and let “bless your heart” cover a multitude of sins. Even if you can’t put on your best dress, always put on your best smile and mean it. All Cinderella had to do to be the “belle of the ball” was clean up, look up, show up and never give up. You too can be the “belle of the ball!”
Love y'all!!!
Now I try not to dabble in other folks business, and certainly try to be discreet when it comes to my own. We southern belles were raised not to air dirty laundry in public for all to see. We learn all about etiquette and decorum early on. Lately though, I have about had my fill of certain things that I see on social media from my sisters. Girls, I want the best for y’all… honestly I do. I want you to be treasured as a woman, admired as a mother or daughter. I want you to know how beautiful you are inside and out. Here’s the thing though. If you are feeling as though that isn’t the case and wondering why, maybe the answer can be found no further than your own dressing mirror. Oh I don’t mean whether or not you have freckles or a crooked nose. I certainly don’t mean whether you are shaped like an hour glass or a looking glass. No ma’am. If you aren’t feeling so beautiful or treasured, valued or respected, you might have to look a tiny bit deeper than that face in the mirror.
Oh I know we all want to look like Scarlett O’Hara and be admired and courted by scores of handsome mavericks. We want to be looked up to like Princess Di and we want to acquire the life of Cinderella or Belle living “happily ever after,” but if you think it is all because of how long your lashes are, how curvy your hips, how lush your lips or bright your eyes, then all I can say is “bless your heart!” Girls, I don’t pretend to be an expert on men – goodness knows I’ve made plenty of mistakes concerning those creatures we can’t seem to live with or without. So rather than giving my unsolicited advice about them, I’d like to say something about what I do know about – women. You know, it took me awhile, but I finally talked myself out and when I did, I learned a thing or two. It’s amazing what all you can hear in silence. If you don’t believe me “hush a minute” and see what I mean! Here are some things I learned…
*It isn’t necessary to search the world over to find a good man, nor is it necessary to nag and aggravate the tar out of the men you know to become better men. Be a better woman and like honey is to flies, better men show up or rise up.
*If you don’t think you are the “belle of the ball” then most likely that man won’t either.
*If you don’t take care of the package God gave you, then don’t complain if a man doesn’t appreciate it or admire it. Take care of yourself!
*God has better things to do than to find you a man. If your path in life includes having a man, God gave you everything you need for that man to find you when you stay focused on what truly matters. Shine bright like a beacon sugar and he’ll find you!
*When boys are born, they have a woman they call mother. When they are young, they have girls who are either their sisters or playmates. When they become a man ready to settle down – trying to be their mother, sister or playmate NEVER works! A woman ready for a man learns how she can both compliment and complement him.
*If you don’t like to hunt – stay out of the woods! You are the prize, not the bait.
*If you want others to hush their mouths about your man or your lack of a man, hush yours first! Some things are better left unsaid. Trust is not given but earned.
*Superman might be sitting right next to you, but you’ll never know if you don’t give a man what he wants most – and no it isn’t what you think! RESPECT him and there’s nothing that a man won’t do for a woman he is pining over. Oh and on that subject of respect… It begins and ends with you. Respect breeds respect.
*If you don’t want to live a lonely life, then quit telling everyone how lonely you are! Love yourself and your life because love isn’t meant to be looked for or solicited. It only comes when it is an overflow given freely from your own heart.
So today my sweet belles…. go to your mirror and fuss over yourself a little bit – not with makeup or perfume, but with that beautiful stuff that’s inside of you. That is what you want everybody to see. Carry yourself with class, ruffle the feathers of those who treat you like less than a lady, hold your tongue and let “bless your heart” cover a multitude of sins. Even if you can’t put on your best dress, always put on your best smile and mean it. All Cinderella had to do to be the “belle of the ball” was clean up, look up, show up and never give up. You too can be the “belle of the ball!”
Love y'all!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit and for allowing me to extend some southern hospitality! It brings me so much joy to share the sights, sounds, beauty, stories and experiences from life in the South. I welcome your comments and feed back, and enjoy the conversation. Have a great day!